Now more than ever in the automotive service industry, employers are looking to hire automotive technicians with more that just the traditional set of automotive technician skills required to do the job.
Automotive service shops prefer job applicants with general business and communication skills, on top of their automotive service skills, that give them an edge in the automotive service industry.
These skills extend to areas such as business, marketing, communications, sales and customer service. In addition to these skills, other skills like computer proficiency and phone skills make job seekers more competitive.
Here are some very specific skill sets taken from Monster.com, CareerBuilder.com and AutoProJobs.com postings:
• Candidates with ASE automotive certifications and current Mercedes experience will be viewed favorably.
• Job requirements include commercial tire service experience, good work history, clean driving record, customer service skills, and a strong track record of trust and integrity.
• Seeking an automotive technician/mechanic applicant that can work under the guidelines of the Arizona Motorist Assurance Program.
• Hiring an automotive service technician position capable of troubleshooting and testing cars.
• Looking for an auto technician with a clean driving record and a familiarity with import vehicles from Asia.
• Must have strong computer skills.
As you can see, being a simple handy man no longer cuts it when you’re searching for a job in the automotive service industry. Don’t fret! AutoProJobs.com has tons of great advice on how to stand out. Check out the rest of the blog and our job openings today.
— Adapted from AutoProJobs.com