Undercar: CV Joint Replacement Tips
Open only to vehicles displayed at the SEMA Show, the competition features the best builders in the country who come to SEMA to win the coveted title of the ultimate builder.
Now in its third year, the SEMA Battle of the Builders competition has announced the Top 21 builders. Open only to vehicles displayed at the SEMA Show, the competition features the best builders in the country who come to SEMA to win the coveted title of the ultimate builder.
As the basis for a nationwide television special, the SEMA Battle of the Builders competition honors SEMA Show vehicle builders, their vehicles and the products on those vehicles. The prestigious SEMA Battle of the Builders competition recognizes the builders the aftermarket community considers best.
Unique to Battle of the Builders, the competition includes all vehicles makes. From hot rods, to exotics, to sport compact vehicles to trucks and SUVs, builders demonstrate their amazing craftsmanship on customized vehicles at the SEMA Show and can compete in the Battle of the Builders competition.
New this year is the “young guns” distinction for builders who are 34 years old and under. The new category recognizes up-and-coming builders from across the country. This year, 98 Battle of the Builders’ entries were recognized as a “young gun”.
With over 1,500 unique vehicles at the SEMA Show, selecting standouts isn’t easy as every vehicle is one-of-a-kind. This year, vehicle builders and car customizers from across the country submitted more than 250 vehicles for consideration into the annual competition. The vehicles were judged by industry experts: David Freiburger, executive producer, TEN: The Enthusiast Network; Fred Williams, Editor-At-Large, Petersen’s 4-Wheel & Off Road; and RJ de Vera, Customer Engagement Leader, Meguiar’s Inc. The judges reviewed each entry and narrowed the selection to the top builds in four different categories: Hot Rod, Sport Compact, and Off-Road.
The 2016 Battle of the Builders Top 21 are (by category):
• Jeremy & Phil Gerber – 1967 Chevy Chevelle Onyx **Young Gun
• Kyle Tucker – 1941 Willys 2 Door Coupe
• Mike & Jim Ring – 1969 Chevy Camaro and 1948 Cadillac
• Jessie Greening – 1961 Chevy 2 Door Sedan
• Cam Miller – 1969 Chevy Camaro
• Jason Pecikonis – 1965 Ford Mustang
• Cris Payne – 2016 Chevy Colorado Diesel **Young Gun
• Brad DeBerti – 2017 Ford Raptor **Young Gun
• Kenny Hauk – 1948 Kaiser Willys Pickup
• Greg Higgs – 2015 Chevy Colorado
• Randy Weaver – 1938 Diamond T Hauler
• John Cole – 1966 Ford Bronco
• Mark Turner – 1958 Jeep FC170
• Ernie Manansala – 2014 Nissan GTR **Young Gun
• Big Mike – 1992 Honda Prelude **Young Gun
• Dominic Le – 1974 Datsun 260Z **Young Gun
• Gordon Ting – 2016 Prius
• Jeremy Lookofsky – 2017 Toyota Corolla
• Igor Polishchuk – 1989 BMW 325is
• Anthony De Guzman – 1993 Toyota Supra **Young Gun
From the 21, the industry experts will select the Top 10 finalists to be announced on Wednesday. The finalists will then take over and evaluate one another’s vehicle, before the ultimate winner is announced Friday, November 4, at SEMA Ignited, the official SEMA Show after party that is open to the general public.
The Battle of the Builders Top 10 will be announced on the Velocity LIVE stage just outside Central Hall on Wednesday, November 2 at 11:00 AM. These ten finalists, chosen by the judges, represent the best of the best in the industry.