Undercar: Diagnosing And Repairing Wheel Bearing Noise
As you move from the classroom to the shop, you will need to work harder, smarter and faster than your peers of the past to overcome the effects of today’s economic downturn.
And, in order to get the most productivity from its staff, shops are offering a number of incentives to keep employees happy.
Here are the Top 10 important benefits as voted on by today’s auto repair technicians.
by Jeff Stankard
Everyone at the repair shop or dealership needs to be working together toward a common goal providing the highest quality repairs and top-notch customer service so that your shop’s car count continues to increase and profits follow along an upward path.
This unified front works best when employees are content in their jobs and business owners are taking steps to retain good employees. Things like treating employees with respect, giving them a clean, well-lit environment in which to work, recognizing them for their accomplishments, open communication and the like. But, there are other more “tangible” benefits that can oftentimes make the difference between a “good” employee and a “great” employee.
With the goal of providing you with input on the benefits valued most by employees, Babcox Research asked a sample of shop owner readers for their ideas on the topic. We received dozens of great responses, some of which are listed below.
10 Most-Valued Benefits For Employees
1. Provide a competitive income to recognize technical skills and the ability to expedite repairs through diagnostic expertise.
2. Offer “points” incentives for repairs that are done right the first time and that minimize parts returns.
3. Provide paid vacations, sick days and do not dock employees when they need time off to tend to personal issues; offer flex work hours.
4. Health insurance considered a precious commodity today. Consider family medical insurance plans, and dental and vision insurance.
5. Fully paid training that includes transportation to the training facility.
6. Establish a working environment that is pleasant and built on family-like relationships so employees have a vested interest in the business. Customers will enjoy coming to your shop because your employees are friendly and customer-oriented.
7. Allow the use of the shop for personal vehicle repairs, but limit this privilege to family members only.
8. Birthdays and holidays off with pay.
9. Bonus and retirement plans.
10. Provide uniforms, and know that little things can mean a lot like free coffee and maybe even a periodic free lunch.
Which of these are most important to you. Are these things you would like your employeer to offer you that is not listed here? If you have any ideas you would like to offer, just send an e-mail and we’ll add them to our listing on the website. E-mail Jeff at [email protected] .